I was inspired by a Pottery Barn knock-off skull print I saw here from a fellow crafter/blogger. So I went to the Graphics Fairy, saved this to my pics, and printed it out on some lightweight card stock that I had laying around. I then gathered up my supplies and got to work! Here's what you'll need:
- a notebook (I used a b&w composition notebook that I picked up for 25cents)
- skull print
- decorative paper
- Mod Podge
- exacto/utility knife
- paintbrush (I used a 1" for all of it)
- waxed paper (optional)
- card (credit card-ish, optional) for smoothing out wrinkles/air bubbles
1) Start off by choosing what kinds of paper you want to use. For this particular project, I used a bunch of different kinds that I scavenged out of my art cabinet; I used card stock for the front cover base, construction paper for the back of the notebook and for the interiors, and watercolor paper for part of the front and for the inside envelope.
Cover the front of your notebook with Mod Podge:
(you can choose whether or not to go over the spine with some podge- I didn't at first, then changed my mind later)
2) Lay a piece of card stock (or whatever paper you want to use for this part) over the Mod Podged surface.
You can use an old credit card (or library card, video card, etc) to smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles. Do this carefully but firmly so you don't tear the paper. Even if you do get a couple wrinkles, it's no biggie.
*also- I forget where I saw this, but it's a lot easier to put the paper down on the MP'd surface and then cut it to size with an exacto knife after it dries- it's so much better than trying to cut the paper to the right dimensions, then gluing! *
3) I like to use waxed paper between things when using any sort of adhesive to prevent sticking, so slap a piece of it on top of your cover, weigh down with books, and let dry (I let mine dry overnight). This step also helps prevent warping of the cover.
4) Once dry, remove the heavy books, set down on a safe cutting surface, and trim off the excess card stock from the front cover.
(so as not to confuse you guys, my card stock was light grey on one side/top and dark grey on the other/bottom)
and it will look like this:
(see? I got a wrinkle at the upper right corner, but I'm not sweatin' it- I know it will all work out!)
5) Gather your decorative papers and your skull print and play around a little with the composition and how you may want your cover to look. I didn't really measure anything at this point, I just sort of "eyed it" until I saw what I liked. Then, cut your papers accordingly and start layering with Mod Podge.
8) Next, I brushed some podge onto the back of my second skull image and centered it (more or less!) onto the envelope. I stuck a little scrap of waxed paper inside the envelope where the top of the skull image was still wet. I also later decided to podge over this skull image since everything else was sorta' sealed with it and I thought it looked better that way.
I podged all over the black construction paper that was on the inside cover and placed the envelope on top. Then I layed books on top and let it dry.
All RIGHT! Once you have everything where you want it, and everything is Mod Podged down with at least one coat (I ended up doing two on the front), you're FINISHED! Yea!
This particular project took a couple of days only because I decided to do both interior and exterior of both front and back covers (that's a lot of drying time). But if you just want to start off doing the outside front cover until you get the hang of things, then that's still cool- there's tons of great images out there for kids of all ages.
This would also be a great guest book for a Halloween party or something. The possibilities are endless- have fun!